Hi, In the case of calculations, it depends on how you set the storage option. When you create or edit the calculation for the field, click on the Storage options button. There is a checkbox listed as "Do not store calculation results -- recalculate when needed." If this is checked he results can't be stored or indexed. It keeps the data up to date if the values the calculation depend on change. If the box isn't checked the results are stored and can be indexed. So it is a trade off and the choice has to based on what the field requires.

From the description of the Vendor address, I would think that this could be a stored value.

Best regards
Bruce Herbach

Richard S. Russell wrote:
On 2008 May 16, at 7:21, Geoff Graham wrote:

On May 15, 2008, at 2:02 PM, Richard S. Russell wrote:

Calculated fields:
  PO# & SKU -- linked to Truck Unit Tracker to establish load sizes
PO# left 4 bytes -- linked to Vendors table to get store name and address


In his place, I would be tempted to make these auto-entered text fields rather than calcs, if I was worried about performance. My thinking is that once they are stored that would be one less piece of overhead. I am curious what others think of that.


My understanding of calculation fields is that, once they are computed, stored, and indexed, they're just as solid and quick to access as manually entered data. If I'm wrong, this would be a swell time to find out.

Reply via email to