I don't have time to go into all the feedback now (need sleep ... zzz),
but it looks like a false positive. I'll expect a few of those once in a
while. The machine is my home machine, so I'm usually pounding on the
keys when chkrootkit runs. Ho hum.

I'll probably reinstall in a few weeks time (Gnome2 being due, and time
getting more available) and change passwords, GPG keys, etc. Trouble is
there's always something else as well...

Thanks for the feedback. I have some thinking to do.

One more episode in the tale of a paranoid security newbie :/