On 29 Jul (14:07), Ken Gourlay wrote:

> LDAP is nice, but depending on how many users you have, it may not be
> efficient enough to do what you need done.  I'm happy to talk to you
> about more specific things, but I guess my immediate recommendation is
> to strongly consider why you want to use LDAP as a standard before
> jumping into it.

You're using OpenLDAP? I've come across some performance tests and
statements from different people (sorry, I don't have any links), that
led to the conclusion that OpenLDAP is really a poor performer.
Improvements up to 1000x times the OpenLDAP speed where measured.

I can't prove or comment on this, because I'm using OpenLDAP only for a
base of about 30 users. But I've also tried the MySQL backend to
OpenLDAP (pretty crude hack, had to fix some things before it worked)
and as far as I can see, OpenLDAP will never fly with this backend.

Try a differend directory server. Or switch to pam_pgsql, as I will do
in the next couple of weeks. In your case, pam_mysql will be better of
course. Why use the directory server at all, if your backend is a
relational database?

--
BLUE MARS - Gesellschaft für digitale Kommunikation mbH

Christian Bauer               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technology Department         http://www.bluemars.de
Ebersheimstrasse 5            Tel: +49 (0)69 469973-00
60320 Frankfurt/M.            Fax: +49 (0)69 469973-99