On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 11:16:29AM -0300, Gustavo Gouvea wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone can tell me what is
> the best choice for establishing a VPN connection beteween
> 2 linux Boxes?
>
> I've read the VPN Howto, FreeS/wan and ppp+ssh Howto.
>
> The fact is that I have dynamic IP Adress on both endpoints
> and I will not be happy if later I found that other choice would be
> better. I am thinking about using noip.com to publish the IP address
> os both endpoints.

This will pose a challenge, but that is not insurmountable with any
solution you try.

You will have to have one end publish some kind of clue somewhere
predictable.  You could use something like dyndns to update one
machine's address whenever it is known to change.  The other one can
then act as a road warrior and connect to it whereever it might end up.
I don't know about noip.com, but I get the impression that it should do
a similar job to dyndns.org (or is it .com?).

FreeS/WAN should work with this kind of setup as long as you let the
local FreeS/WAN know when its address has changed.  The easiest way to
do this is to re-starting the local FreeS/WAN in both cases.  One gets
treated as a static gateway and the other gets treated as a road
warrior.  Use dns names for ip addresses and for ike id's.

> I hope you guys have something to say, and have more experience
> with taht than me.
>
> So, thanks a lot for any tips.

        slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs           --    ~\                 Auto-Free Ottawa! Canada
<www.TriColour.net>            --    \@       @           <www.flora.org/afo/>