On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 12:15:27PM +1300, Simon Byrnand wrote:
> At 18:01 16/11/02 +0100, Miguel Angel Rodríguez Jódar wrote:
>
> [...]
> This makes it possible to tell the difference with a scanner between a TCP
> port which is really closed (sends a RST) and a TCP port that is firewalled
> with REJECT. (Sends an ICMP DEST UNREACH)

A scanner checks the UDP ports by sending a packet if there is no answer it
assumes that the port is open (if the machine is up) it is closed if there
is a "port-unreachable-ICMP" message (as far as I understood the scanners)

For TCP a scanner can differentiate between OPEN, CLOSED and FILTERED ports
by the message that is comming back (or not comming back)...

have a nice day
Pierre