> ... i created a directory, copied 'ps' et al to it, and used chattr on
> them.  having a known good binary outside $PATH is something of a comfort

Of course, if the cracker has gotten root, they can chattr it right
back.  In fact, the first thing I'd do as an attacker is to find all
chattr'd files on the filesystem since they're probably important.

The only way to be absolutely sure you see the real state of the
filesystem is to boot off of pristine read-only media.  When you've
verified all the binaries and checked for any unusual startup actions
(/etc/rc?.d, /etc/inittab, initrd device, etc) which could modify things
then you can trust your ps commands -- as long as the attacker doesn't
come in and modify things again.  (You should work without the network
plugged in until you're sure things are sane.)

--
Brian Hatch                  Dijon vu: the same
   Systems and                mustard as before.

Every message PGP signed