Artikel menarik,
Saat ini minyak sebagai agent dari energi global. Indonesia sendiri
saat ini masih kesulitan mengisi kebutuhan dalam negeri (net
importer), bahkan issue terakhir ada yg menyatakan minyak tinggal 12
tahun lagi.

ah kok ngeri ngebayangin rebutan minyak (energi) ini.

RDP
Published February 22, 2005
Power politics and oil in our own lives
by Alex Duncan
http://www.tuftsdaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/02/22/421ab6db88799

You have just returned from a ski trip after several hours on the
road. All the while, shots ring out somewhere in Central Asia between
government and rebel forces. The Chinese and Russian ambassadors to
the U.N. scowl in disapproval at something the American ambassador has
been pushing for. A terrorist attack rocks the Moscow metro and
threatens the balance of the city. Money passes under the table
between government and oil executives, millions of dollars at a time.
And now, you are enjoying a movie in your heated dorm.

Scenarios like this unfold every single day around the globe. In
EPIIC, we have had the fortune to examine the roots of these issues
and their linkages. The annual EPIIC symposium, this year titled "Oil
and Water," begins on Wednesday and runs until Sunday. The symposium
is a public forum for experts to debate issues from varying
viewpoints, and for the public to think broadly about these same
issues.

The symposium demonstrates that power politics and our daily lives are
more connected than ever. The competition for resources and the stakes
associated have never been higher. American needs for oil and natural
gas resources have a profound impact on our relations with other
countries. Given dwindling American domestic oil production and our
growing appetite, we are increasingly looking for new energy sources
worldwide. This translates into competition between other major powers
like the E.U., Russia, and China. It also means uneasy relations with
producer nations like Venezuela, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, and other
countries in the Middle East.

International politics are primarily about two things: power and
economics. Since a state's economy is an essential element of its
power, military force is often used to ensure vital resources. First
semester we were fortunate to have read both "Blood and Oil" and
"Resource Wars" by Michael Klare. These two books give a remarkably
clear picture of the past decade's decision-making and power politics,
which have ensured us the natural resources necessary to make the
American economy the most vibrant in the world.

Klare, a speaker at this year's EPIIC symposium, allows us to
understand the stakes at play. The fuel we need to run our economies
does not simply come to us by chance or by good will. It has to be
fought for and protected. For every drop of oil that we use to drive
our cars or heat our home, a tremendous amount of time and money is
spent making sure we get it.

According to Herman Scheer, the President of the World Council on
Renewable Energy, there are seven steps to get oil out of the ground
and into your car: extraction, fuel transportation, fuel refining,
waste disposal, storage of refined products, fuel shipping, and fuel
combustion into usable energy. The first three are the most
contentious because whoever controls extraction has a say in who can
transport and consequently who can refine. When a nation like Saudi
Arabia can dictate who receives their massive oil reserves, the
competition is fierce.

Transportation is tremendously lucrative, which makes geography a key
component of the international oil trade. The major oil chokepoints
include the Straits of Hormuz (dictating flow from the Persian Gulf to
the rest of the world), the Straits of Malacca (between Malaysia and
Indonesia), the Suez Canal, the Bosporus and Dardanelles (connecting
the Black Sea and the Mediterranean), Straits of Gibraltar, and the
Panama Canal. The Straits of Hormuz are the most important since the
most important oil producing region is the Persian Gulf. The oil from
Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, and the U.A.E. all flow through this
narrow body of water which Iran controls. Given our difficult
relations with Iran and the questions surrounding their nuclear
program, a constant, weary eye watches the straits.

The oil of the Caspian has the potential of being an equally volatile
issue. Much of it was untapped during the Cold War, and now bidding
revolves around who can get access to the fields and who can transport
it. Since Moscow historically controlled the flow of Caspian oil and
gas, all of the pipelines run north towards Russia. Any American
interests in the region would need oil and gas to flow around Russia
and Iran.

Steve Coll, a Pulitzer Prize winner and formerly of the Washington
Post, details the American pipeline plans through Afghanistan in his
book "Ghost Wars." The pipeline would have taken advantage of
Turkmenistan's massive natural gas without going through Russia or
Iran, two major rivals in the region.

This all brings us to our own daily lives. Certainly there are many
other examples of oil geopolitics like Venezuela and Nigeria, but they
all contribute to our own quality of living here at home. We have a
freedom of mobility enjoyed by few societies on earth. Gasoline is
relatively cheap and abundant. Nearly all of our homes are heated or
have air conditioning. Our factories, the heart of the industrial part
of our economy, depend mostly on imported fuel. All of the plastics we
use are petroleum products. Our lives are tied to the successful
acquisition and distribution of oil and natural gas. This dependence
grows as our standard of living and population continue to surge.

Some speakers this weekend, like Mike Eckhart, President of the
American Council on Renewable Energy, will argue for a greener agenda,
whereas Gerry Gabriel of ExxonMobil will argue that fossil fuels can
continue to be used for a long time. What makes us excited is that
these two will have the chance to present to the public on the same
panel on Sunday.

We encourage everyone to come to the EPIIC symposium and understand
more about these issues of grave importance. Gaining insight on the
necessity of oil in our lives, the world economy, international
relations, and international security is something we can all stand to
gain from.

Alex Duncan is a senior and IR and Russian and Eastern European
Studies Major. He is also a member of the 2005 EPIIC Colloquium: Oil
and Water.