Dear FOI Advocates:
The Justice Initiative is in the process of collecting information about
penalties for public servants who disclose classified information to the
public. One use of this information will be to support a challenge to South
Africa's new Protection of State Information Law. We thus would be very
grateful if you could respond by May 27, and sooner if possible.
Arwa Shobaki, a lawyer working with us, created the attached chart from
information collected by Amy Jacobsen, an academic at the U of Copenhagen,
from experts on the following 20 European countries:
Albania

France

Norway

Slovenia

Australia

Germany

Poland

Spain

Belgium

Hungary

Romania

Sweden

Czech Rep

Italy

Russia

Turkey

Denmark

Netherlands

Serbia

UK

If you are from one of those countries we would be grateful if you would double
check the information in the attached chart, and in the below narrative summary.
If you are not from one of the above countries, we would be grateful if you
would provide us with information about your country, especially if your
country either:

1)      Has a maximum penalty of ten years for disclosure to the public even of
top secret information;

2)      Recognizes in law or practice some sort of a public interest defence
(and if yes, please describe)

3)      Requires the prosecutor to establish that the disclosure actually
caused harm to national security, or

4)      Allows the fact that the disclosure did not cause harm to be considered
as a mitigating factor concerning punishment.

We seek the following information:

  1.  Country
  2.  May a person with authorized access be punished for disclosing info to
the public?
  3.  What must the prosecution prove?
  4.  In particular, must the prosecution prove that the info was likely to
cause harm? If yes, harm to what?
  5.  What are the penalties, including for disclosure of top secret
information, to the public? (note that we are not interested in espionage or
treason)
  6.  What are the available defenses?

We of course will share with this list all the info sent by FOI Advocates as
well as the results of any additional research.
Here is our narrative summary. Corrections/additions most welcome!
"All of the surveyed states proscribe criminal penalties for the disclosure of
classified national security information. However, where there is no espionage
or treason, the penalties are far less than in the US: up to two years in
Denmark and Great Britain; three years in Slovenia; four years in Spain and
Sweden; five years in Belgium, Germany, and Poland; and seven years in France.
Moreover, prosecutions are rare. In seven countries-Albania, Belgium, Norway,
Romania, Spain and Turkey- there has not been a single conviction in the past
10 years.
In eleven countries, there have been just a handful of prosecutions, and even
fewer convictions.
Russia is the only country surveyed in which significant numbers of
prosecutions have been conducted. In the past decade, 10 public servants were
convicted and sentenced for terms ranging from 4 to 15 years for the public
disclosure of information. The cases illustrate the serious consequences for
individuals as well as the public's right to know of excessive prosecutions for
public disclosure of classified information.
Significantly, ten states-Albania, Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, Moldova, the
Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Spain, and Sweden-require the government to prove
either actual or probable harm resulting from the disclosure in order for any
penalty to be imposed.  An additional three countries-Hungary, Denmark, and
France-allow the lack of harm to be raised as a defence or mitigating
circumstance.
Many thanks for your help - by May 27 please, and sooner if possible.
Sandy