The debate about access to information has become even more important this
week as leaks revealed the extent to which the NSA and other intelligence
agencies have been eavesdropping on
  citizens and non-citizens alike
.

*Why does PRISM matter for
  FOI
?*

   1. Because the leaked documentation highlights just how far even
   democratic governments are willing and able to violate basic constitutional
   norms and rights on such a massive scale when they are not exposed to
   public scrutiny and oversight. It is estimated that up to three billion
   telephone calls have been intercepted per day by the NSA.
   2. Because the basic foundation of the liberal democratic state-society
   relationship is (a) we are supposed to know almost everything about them;
   this is why they are called public servants and (b) they are supposed to
   know very little about us; this is why we are called private citizens. It
   seems that more and more government activity is slipping behind the veil of
   national security and secrecy, while more and more of our most personal
   information has become the purview of agencies most of us has never heard
   of. New technologies are developed to simultaneously limit access to
   important information and deepen the access of unaccountable bodies into
   the private sphere.

As FOI advocates, we should all be concerned that such a massive
  , wholesale
 perversion of constitutional rights could
continue undetected
 for almost a decade. Surely there has not been a stronger argument in
recent years for the adoption of the global principals on national security
and freedom of information.

--
*Satbir Singh*
*Access to Information Programme

B-117 Sarvodaya Enclave, New Delhi-27
Tel: +91 (0) 8527232802

Email: sat...@humanrightsinitiative.org

www.humanrightsinitiative.org
www.sartian.org

twitter.com/satbirlsingh
twitter.com/chri_int
twitter.com/networksartian

*The Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative is an international NGO with a
mandate from the Commonwealth of Nations and consultative status at the
United Nations, working toward the practical realisation of human rights in
the countries of the Commonwealth.*
*
*
*"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act**."
 **(George **Orwell)*