Hi all,

This is tangentially related to the broad ideas of computer and
mathematics literacy that Alan has, and so I would like to ask the list
for your opinions and advice.  (If you have things to share that are not
related to computing, please reply to me privately.)

My wife, Susana, works at an agency that helps immigrant families from
all over the world settle in Canada.  They are currently looking for
software or online resources to help improve literacy for youth (and
possibly younger children), sometimes teaching EAL (English as an
Additional Language) from square one.

Susana and I saw some connection with VPRI, as at least some of the
children have little past exposure to computers, and that literacy is
not about a specific language, but about solidifying new knowledge with
experimentation and creative expression.  I've admired Kim's handbook
that guides math learners through Squeak-based experiments.  Is there an
approach embracing this model (computer as an empty world for performing
experiments, not as a multiple-choice quiz automator) with exercises
involving language?

To give some political context, the conventional advice currently on the
table is to license Rosetta Stone for children.  Do you see better
alternatives?  Does this belong in the scope of FONC?

Thanks,

--
Michael FIG <mich...@fig.org> //\
   http://michael.fig.org/    \//