On 6/20/2011 9:19 PM, Julian Leviston wrote:
Hi... (see below)...

On 21/06/2011, at 3:42 AM, BGB wrote:

On 6/20/2011 3:22 AM, Julian Leviston wrote:
On 20/06/2011, at 8:06 PM, BGB wrote:

hmm... S-Expression database?...
sort of like a hybrid between a database and a persistent store.

or such...
I'd like to know if you think there's a difference between a filesystem and a
database... conceptually...

or such...
interesting thought...

Note that I asked if you think there's a difference not how they differ. I'd be
surprised if there were any people on this list who didn't know how they
differed.

I don't consider there to be much of a difference between the two, conceptually
- they are both concerned with the retrieval and storage of data (I'm using the
term 'data' here to mean any form of raw information at all, useful or
otherwise, including programs).

(I got sidetracked and forgot to answer earlier...).

but, well, I consider them as different, as they serve different roles...

filesystems serve a very narrowly defined role, so possible variation is limited before one risks compromising compatibility with existing software (both WRT removing features, or adding too many fundamentally new ones). compromising this compatibility would also severely compromise the general usability of the system.

however, one could argue that filesystems are probably a fairly narrowly defined subset of databases, so in this sense there is overlap.

for example, humans are mammals, but not all mammals are humans (tigers aren't hosting TV shows, there are no cities of bears, elephants aren't doing construction work, ...).

so, it seems a similar level of difference...