On 7/27/2011 5:47 PM, David Barbour wrote:
On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 2:38 PM, BGB <cr88...@gmail.com <mailto:cr88...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    note that my definition of "fitness" also includes marketing
    forces and economics.
    for example, something can have be more "fit" because it has lots
    of money invested into its marketing effort, ...

I objected specifically to your mentions of '/merit/' and '/best sets of tradeoffs and/or being well suited to a various niche/', not fitness. I grant that 'fitness' is determined by the environment, but that has nothing to do with my objection.

merit and fitness seem equivalent IMO, and the "best set of tradeoffs" may happen to include things like marketing, economics, ...