Your point about politics is so true.
Check out a great classic paper by Mel Conway  at:
    http://www.melconway.com/Home/Committees_Paper.html

"Any organization that designs a system (defined broadly) will produce a design
whose structure is a copy of the organization's communication structure."

It's been called Conway's Law.

cheers,
-David