On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 10:10 PM, John Zabroski <johnzabro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 10:04 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr.
> <je...@merlintec.com> wrote:
>> Steve Dekorte wrote:
>>
>>> [NeXTStation memories versus reality]
>>
>> I still have a running Apple II. My slowest working PC is a 33MHz 486,
>> so I can't directly do the comparison I mentioned. But I agree we
>> shouldn't trust what we remember things feeling like.
>>
>> -- Jecel
>

> The Apple booting up faster was not simply a feeling, but a fact owing
> to its human-computer interaction demands.  They set fast boot speeds
> as a design criteria.  Jef Raskin talks about this in the book The
> Humane Interface.  Even modern attempts to reduce boot speed have not
> been that good, such as "upstart", an event-driven alternative to
> "init".
>
> Eugen has some very good points about human limits of managing
> performance details, though.  Modern approaches to performance are
> already moving away from such crude methods.

By the way, slight tangent: Modern operating systems, with all their
hot-swapping requirements, do a poor job distinguishing device error
from continuously plugging-in and plugging-out the device. For
example, if you have an optical mouse and damage it, it might slowly
die and your entire system will hang because 99% of your CPU will be
handling plugin and plugout events.