Below.

On Mar 7, 2012, at 3:13 PM, BGB <cr88...@gmail.com> wrote:

> thoughts:
> admittedly, I am not really much of a person for reading fiction (I tend
> mostly to read technical information, and most fictional material is more
> often experienced in the form of movies/TV/games/...).
>
> I did find the article interesting though.
>
> I wonder: why really do some people have such a thing for traditional books?
>
> they are generally inconvenient, can't be readily accessed:
> they have to be physically present;
> one may have to go physically retrieve them;
> it is not possible to readily access their information (searching is a pain);

Books? First, the smell. Especially old books. I have a friend who has a
Kindle. It smells *nothing* like a library, and I do think something is lost
there.

It's also, ironically, the weight of them. The sense of holding something
*real* that in turn holds information. When you move, it takes work to keep a
book, so one tends to keep the most "important" books one has, whereas with
digital we just keep whatever we have "rights" to read, because there's no real
expense in keeping. We also can't really share, at least not yet. Not in any
legal model.

Second: when I finish a book, I usually give it away to someone else who'd
enjoy it. Unless I've missed a headline, I can't do this with ebooks any more
readily than that dubstep-blackmetal-rap album we still need to record when I
buy it on iTunes (or whatever.)

;)