Ah, I forgot to mention, there are efforts underway to build *descriptions*
of the various conversational patterns people are using. An interesting
recent example is the Multiparty Session Types of Honda, Yoshida, Bejleri
and Carbone: http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~yoshida/multiparty/multiparty_full.pdf

A multiparty session type describes the form of an N-way conversation, and
can be projected out into a collection of 2-way subconversations between
the individual participants.

Cheers,
  Tony