It depends what your goals are. If you want to automatically derive an IDE
from a grammar then the best work is the Synthesizer Generator but it is
limited to absolutely noncircular attribute grammars IIRC. But it had
wicked cool features like incremental live evaluation. Tom Reps won a ACM
Disssrtation award for the work. The downside was scaling this approach to
so-called very large scale software systems. But there are two reasons why
I feel that concern is overblown: (1) nobody has brute forced the memory
exhaustion problem using the cloud (2) with systems like FONC we wouldnt be
building huge systems anyway.

Alternatively, "grammarware" hasn't died simply because of the SG scaling
issue. Ralf Lammel, Eelco Visser and others have all contributed to ASF+SDF
and the Spoofax language environment. But none of these are as cool as SG
and with stuff like Spoofax you have to sidt thru Big And Irregular APIs
for IME hooking into Big And Irregular Eclipse APIs. Seperating the
intellectual wheat from the chaff was a PITA.... Although I did enjoy
Visser's thesis on scannerless parsing which led me to apprrciate boolean
grammars.

Alan,

A question for you is Did SG approach ever come up in desivn discuszions or
prototypes for any Smalltalk? I always assumed No due to selection bias...
Until Ometa there hasnt been a clear use case.

Cheers,
Z-Bo