Benoit,

I would very much like to read source code more often, as I suspect would many
others, but I think the problem lies in the fact that few coders or publishers
seem to think that code is worth studying.  I know that sounds outrageous but
the simple fact is that there are many intellectual artefacts as difficult as
source code that are published and read avidly - e.g., scientific articles,
mathematical proofs, philosophical essays, musicological analysis, poetry, etc.
in these fields publication is considered essential to the culture and energy
and creativity is found to typeset and edit these artefacts. In programming,
the written analysis of programme design only ever seems to happen in computer
science textbooks, such as SICP, etc.

I am often curious enough to look at the source code of some library, but are
usually discouraged by the lack of organisation in the presentation. Object
oriented code is particularly hard to get a handle on, compared to structured
programme examples in textbooks, as there an awful lot of boilerplate that
obscures the architecture. Technical documentation seems to be the only way to
get a mental map but it is often a dry overview that fails to capture the
thought process that went into the design. Sometimes I'm lead to the melancholy
conclusion that programme analysis -- I mean analysis in the sense of a
critical analysis of poetry (like William Empson's) or of art (like John Ruskin
or Kenneth Clark) -- isn't done because the programmer and the community thinks
of the code artefacts as obscolescent -- i.e., it will be out of date soon, so
why bother. Why else no serious critical activity devoted to such a serious
mental activity? Where are the software critics?

Regards,
Iian

Sent from my iPhone