On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 7:53 AM, Alan Kay <alan.n...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> As humans, we are used to being sloppy about message creation and sending,
> and rely on negotiation and good will after the fact to deal with errors.

You might be interested in my article on avoiding commitment in HCI, and
its impact on programming
languages<http://awelonblue.wordpress.com/2012/05/20/abandoning-commitment-in-hci/>.
I address some issues of negotiation and clarification after-the-fact. I'm
interested in techniques that might make this property more systematic and
compositional, such as modeling messages or signals as having probabilistic
meanings in context.

> you are much better off making -- with great care -- a few kinds of
> relatively big modules as basic building blocks than to have zillions of
> different modules being constructed by vanilla programmers

Large components are probably a good idea if humans are hand-managing the
glue between them. But what if there was another way? Instead of modules
being rigid components that we painstakingly wire together, they can
be ingredients
of a soup<http://awelonblue.wordpress.com/2012/09/12/stone-soup-programming/>-
with the melding and combination process being largely automated.

If the modules are composed automatically, they can become much smaller,
more specialized and reusable. Large components require a lot of
inefficient duplication of structure and computation (seen even in biology).

> Note that desires for runable specifications, etc., could be quite
> harmonious with a viable module scheme that has great systems integrity.

Certainly. Before his untimely departure, Joseph Goguen was doing a lot of
work on modular, runable specifications (the BOBJ - behavioral OBJ -
language, like a fusion of OOP and term rewriting).

Regards,

Dave