Alan Kay wrote:
A little more history ...

The first Smalltalk (-72) was "modern" (as used below), and similar to Erlang in several ways -- for example, messages were received with "structure and pattern matching", etc. The language was extended using the same mechanisms ...

Alan,

As I recall, some of your early writings on Smalltalk sounded very actor-like - i.e., objects as processes, with lots of messages floating around, rather than a sequential thread-of-control model. Or is my memory just getting fuzzy? In any case, I'm surprised that the term "actor" hasn't popped up in this thread, along with "object" and "messaging."

Miles Fidelman