So I think the original thread drifted a bit. I'm curious about what folks
think of the research involved here. I read the paper.

A few things stuck out. The thing I'd mention is that it seemed to work (at
least superficially) with getting 12 year olds to (begin to) tackle a
programming language which by my own (prejudiced) standards is a rather
difficult choice for *adults* who want to program casually.

I guess I also identified with the whole set of things they identified as
common among kids who learned to code in a quiet hole without any real
support.

They say that Java wasn't trying to convert the Lisp crowd, so much as the
C++ crowd. Lisp, so far, seems a lot more learnable than C++ but that's
beside my interest here.

Since one of the things I think we ought to be arguing about in this
context is "how do we scale things like Scratch or Etoys up to the sky and
down to the metal?" I do think the study is relevant. It maybe helps
explain how to deal with the trip to the metal end. Or maybe not. OTOH I
didn't feel like there were enough numbers in there. It felt very very
soft-science, and maybe there's no way around that. And maybe I have a
prejudice about soft science. I got the general sense that the smell meant
it was working, though, so I'm really interested in seeing what these folks
do next. At the end of the day, what works, works, right?

Does anyone here know these researchers? Any chance we might be able to
pull them into the dialogue? At risk of wasting time on BS troll threads. I
get the sense these are the kind of people I'd like to see posting here.
Anyway they've got some *very* relevant experience now, and I think it
would be cool to hear about what they're planning to do next.

Just a thought.

--
Casey Ransberger