Hello Font list,

There is a very serious problem with many X
applications that has been bugging me for some time,
and I'd like to know what you all have to say on the
matter and what is being done about it. The problem is
that if you create a fixed-width BDF font and have
glyphs wider than the font's DWIDTH then X
applications will under many circumstances fail to
delete the glyph entirely when you backspace over the
character (if the glyph extends to the left outside
the bounding box) or will fail to draw the glyph
properly when you first type the character (if the
glyph extends to the right of the bounding box).

For example, the "A" glyph (as well as all the
accented "A"s and the "AE" ISO8859-1 glyphs) of the
font:
-Adobe-Courier-Medium-R-Normal--14-100-100-100-M-90-ISO8859-1

has its left serif extend to the left the bounding
box, so if you backspace over it there will still be a
pixel left over, and if you put your cursor in front
of it and hit space a bunch of times you'll have a
trail of ugly dots. The oblique version of this font
has this problem for the glyphs of at least "_", "j",
and "p".

There are other fonts that I have that do this for
many more characters, but they aren't bundled in a
package that is part of the X distribution.

Also, the xmbdfedit program seems totally clueless
about such fonts (when it isn't busy crashing or doing
other ridiculous things). For example, if you load in
the above Adobe Courier font (which has a DWIDTH of 9)
and then immediately save it with xmbdfedit then it
will have a DWIDTH of 10 and the spacing will look
like crap if you actually compile it and use it in an
application, until you manually go through the file
and (using your editor's replace command) change all
the "DWIDTH 10"s to "DWIDTH 9"s.