I found that simply declaring the output of a font project to be under the
"public domain - share and enjoy" license is the simplest and most easy to
understand solution that will encourage most contributions and will waste
the least time with such discussions. The word "enjoy" is the most
relevant part of this license. That's what we did with the misc-fixed
fonts and nobody ever complained.

I believe that de-facto free software is not controlled in any way by
licences, but by whoever puts most work into the product. Many of these
abstract and semi-informed license discussions are not relevant in
practice. Licences matter only if people plan to sue each other, which
as far as I know hasn't happened since the legendary BSD tape driver
issue over a decade ago that led to the BSD licence being written.

Reality check:

First there has to be a font at all before discussiing obscure and
irrelevant legal thingies becomes justified, if at all.

Markus