Since render is not yet a standard extension, and making this change would
disable Xft on all commercial X servers aside from XFree86, I would caution
against it at this time.

My 2cents.

-steve

>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>From: Keith Packard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 19:30:41 -0800
>Subject: [Render] Removing core support from Xft
>

>Over the last year, we've learned a lot about how client side fonts change
>the X environment.  The initial focus was to simplify the Render extension
>protocol and avoid future problems by eliminating font information.  This
>has been admirably achieved -- we've got lots of possible directions and no
>sign that the protocol will limit future font capabilities.
>
>However, we've also discovered that client side fonts have significant
>additional advantages.  The ability to draw anti-aliased text is a nice
>feature, but has become overshadowed at the application level by the
>tremendous power of full access to the font file data.
>
>Xft attempts to provide symmetrical access to server-side and client-side
>fonts; this is hampering application use of client-side fonts while not
>helping anything -- existing applications already know how to deal with
>server-side fonts and new applications want to take advantage of the
>available font information.
>
>Server-side fonts were added to Xft to support legacy X servers without the
>Render extension.  I suggest that instead of using server-side fonts, Xft
>should rasterize glyphs with FreeType and draw with the Render extension
>where available and using the core protocol for legacy servers without
>Render support.
>
>I'd implement both AA and non-AA paths, making this perform reasonably well
>over networks while also providing extended capabilities for servers not
>able to move to the Render extension.  I've done client-side non-AA text in
>the core protocol in the past and have found it acceptable, even over
>relatively low speed links (128K ISDN).
>
>Please write with concerns or comments.
>
>Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab

Steve Swales
Senior Manager, Platform Globalization Engineering
X.Org Chairperson
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
2515 North First Street, MS USJC07-201
San Jose, CA 95131