Keith Packard:

KP> I have an opportunity to redefine the configuration language [...]

KP> I've decided to give XML a try and see how it looks; [...]

Keith, please, don't.

The former configuration language was human-readable and human-
writeable.  This is not the case of your new XML thingie.

While there do exist human beings who can read XML on sight, all known
occurences are Ph.D. students and lose this knack as soon as they
submit.

Writing a parser for a well-designed language is a trivial exercice,
whether you use yacc/lex or write it by hand (as Real Men do).  I
don't think that giving up the elegance of a human-readable language
for the perceived convenience of being able to use off-the-shelf tools
is a sane trade-off.

Regards,

                                        Juliusz