On Monday 28 January 2002 07:03, Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov wrote:
|   On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Alexander Gelfenbain wrote:
|   > I can confirm that the license ST will be released with is "BSD+" which
|   > is standard BSD with the following clause:
|   >
|   >   * You acknowledge that this software is not designed, licensed or
|   > indended * for use in the design, construction, operation or
|   > maintenance of any * nuclear facility.
|
|       Sorry if it is a stupid question (I'm not a lawyer :), but does
|   this clause mean that if ST somehow gets into Red Hat, SuSE or some other
|   distro, we (see my signature) and other high-energy physics labs will
| have no legal right to use these distros?

Hello Dmitry, others!

I am afraid that statement in Sun license above exactly means that you can't
use this software  (ST library) in "design, construction, operation or
maintenance of any nuclear facility", including nuclear reactors and nuclear
weapons.
While most likely it was standard clause added by Sun to ST library in the
same way as for their other software - it is indeed too restrictive and too
much different from BSD software license.
On the second thought - this clause is really not compatible with
Open-Source, as it controls the way *how* and *where* I use open-source
software.

BTW: Linux (and XFree) is used in many different areas, and in design of
nuclear facilities & weapons as well. If someone wants to restrict usage of
either Linux or XFree in some way - well, I guess this software should be
distributed separatly from Linux or Xfree86 or major Linux distributions.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)