Kaixo!

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 02:26:18PM +0000, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> PS> When a TTF font is requested trough an unknown encoding (eg:
> PS> *-iso8859-0 ) the default seems to be the same as
> PS> microsoft-win3.1,
>
> No, the default is ``iso8859-1''.

I stand corrected.

> PS> Now, for postscript fonts, wouldn't it be better to have the default
> PS> as being the same as -adobe-fontspecific instead of -iso8859-1 ?
>
> Currently, all the fontenc-using scalable backends (type1, speedo,
> freetype) fall back to ``iso8859-1''.  I have no a priori objection to
> your suggestion; can you convince me that it is useful enough to break
> the uniform behaviour of all the backends?

I think defaulting to respectively microsoft-win3.1 for TTF and
adobe-fontspecific for postscript will allow transparent use of
any exotic encoding.

Of course if it takes too much effort to do it just forget about it;
but if it is simple to do I think those defaults are better, because they
*are* the defaults used by a lot of fonts out there.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://www.srtxg.easynet.be/            PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975