Hi,

  I'm using Freetype 2 in order to render fonts in opengl in gtk (with gtkglarea), the
whole thing in C. It's For the Opengl Version of the Browser/Editor of the W3C, called
Amaya, which is now has some Internationalization (Polish, Hebrew, Russian, Greek even
with bidirectional writings ).
Opengl is used to get enough performance so that we can, in the future, render
animated SVG.
Cvs version now works pretty well, even in software mode (aka Mesa without DRI) and
Beta version will be distributed at the end of the month.

I use directly XFT library to get fontname, using pattern matching (I was using XLFD
before.).
(You can see Xft-related code used at =>
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/Amaya/thotlib/dialogue/fontserver.c and
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/Amaya/thotlib/dialogue/openglfont.c for freetype 2 to opengl
antialiased bitmap rendering)

BUT

As I've tested it on Mandrake, Debian (testing for xfree 4), I didn't manage to always
get good fonts : Sometimes (mostly on Debian), I can't get anything else than
"courrier"...sometimes I get all but "courrier" (mostly on Mandrake) !!
Sonetimes I can get i18n fonts (greek, hebrew...), somtimes not, depending on which
distribution !!!
We also distribute a GTK version that works with the old XLFD system, and this version
can get the fonts on those system !!

I need to write a general simple procedure that will let people use Amaya with good
fonts... or perhaps there is a sort of master 'XftConfig' that will make server
response always good, that I can distribute with Amaya ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Paul Cheyrou-Lagreze
INRIA Rhone-alpes, FRANCE
W3C Amaya Team
http://www.w3.org/Amaya
http://www.w3.org/Amaya/User/cvs.html
http://www.w3.org/Amaya/AmayaGL.htm

ps : please excuse my poor english from France !