Dear all,

As I'm getting ready to include the new FreeType backend in XFree86, I
have a configuration problem.

The old FreeType backend (currently in CVS) only registers for TTF
fonts.  The new FreeType backend registers for TTF, OTF and PFA/PFB
fonts.  This makes it incompatible with the Type 1 backend: in order
to use the FreeType backend, you have to avoid using the Type 1
backend.

Unfortunately, the FreeType backend does not grok CIDFonts.  While I
do plan to support CIDFonts in a subsequent release, this won't happen
anytime soon, and thus some means of using the CID support in the Type
1 backend is necessary.

One solution would be to split the Type 1 backend into three modules,
one submodule that contains the rasteriser, one PFA/PFB backend, and
one CIDFont backend.  The default configuration would be to use the
FreeType backend for Type 1 fonts and the CIDFont backend.

The other solution would be to add a flag to the Type 1 backend to
enable registering for PFA/PFB.  I have no idea how to do that, and
would be welcome for any advice.

Suggestions, ideas etc. warmly welcome.

                                        Juliusz