Around 17 o'clock on May 24, Owen Taylor wrote:

>  A) Would you consider it safe to assume that it won't use
>     in the future, so that a Xft client could use it?

Xft doesn't need a place to hang per-font data as it already has a
separate structure, the XftFont itself.  Inside Xft, there is an
additional structure that is per face as multiple fonts can share the same
face object.

>  B) If not, could we have a fontconfig API addition that
>     allows for a similar effect?

Fontconfig doesn't expose any FreeType datatypes through it's API, so any
additions would be made within Xft.  Do you need per-font storage or
per-face storage?  Would you like Xft to help control the caching of that
data to minimize the persistent memory footprint of the application?

Hmm.  I suspect what you'd like is to keep the interfaces for Xft and pure
FreeType applications the same, in which case all you'd need is the
callback you mentioned when Xft closed the face.  That's certainly easy
enough to add and may well be sufficient for more general needs.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab