RG> Well, all the ttf I tested are Unicode fonts but we still need specific
RG> encodings to use them with most applications.

The point I was making is that in practice the fuzz value will only be
used for East-Asian encodings, and I'm therefore glad to set it to
whatever value users of such encodings find best.

Please take your time, experiment with various values, and then feel
free to suggest the tightest value you feel happy with.

RG> Should we use another way to set spacing value?

I don't see any.  The macBits field in head doesn't specify spacing,
and the Panose field in the os2 table is usually unreliable.

                                        Juliusz