Around 20 o'clock on Jun 3, Jon Smirl wrote:

> It would be really nice for embedded systems to have
> Freetype, fontconfig and Pango packaged into a
> standalone library without any dependencies on the
> rest of X or glib.

All three have no necessary dependencies on X.  Of course Pango relies on
glib, but it doesn't rely on X either -- only the Xft output render does.

> GTK and Xlib versions of Mozilla are already basically
> using all three. Freetype is being used as is but with
> a horribly messy kludge to look for missing glyphs.

The 1.0 Mozilla code for using FreeType does not use fontconfig; it uses
FreeType directly.  Chris Blizzard and I have a separate patch that uses
Xft and fontconfig which we hope to get integrated into Mozilla when it's
ready for production use.

Fontconfig provides for missing glyph identification, implicitly through
the loca table by using the regular FreeType API to find blank glyphs
which aren't supposed to be blank.  Direct use of the loca table might
make the process somewhat faster, but still not fast enough to avoid
needing to cache the results.

> And Sun has just built in a de-glib'd version of Pango to get shaping
> support for Thai.

I'll bet they just integrated the handful of glib functions needed by
pango -- glib really isn't a gtk-specific library, it's just a bunch of C
utility routines.

I'm hoping to see a concensus build around a reasonable shaping library in
the next year or so; we've got several implementations and I'm hoping
application developers get enough experience to guide the selection of an
appropriate toolkit/windowsystem/font independent text layout library.

Couple a layout engine with a font configuration engine and a glyph
rendering engine and you've got a complete text system; it would be nice
if these three pieces could be plugged together at will; the only piece I
question not sharing is the font configuration piece -- standarizing on
one provides for a shared font database among all applications.  Of
course, I haven't demonstrated that fontconfig is up to the task in all
cases yet, but I'm willing to try.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab