Around 10 o'clock on Jun 4, Owen Taylor wrote:

> I believe the correct solution is to simply remove the code in
> fontconfig that adds FC_ANTIALIAS=FcFalse for non-scaleable fonts.

No, I suspect all that's needed is to move FC_ANTIALIAS to be less
important in the matching algorithm than FC_FAMILY.  Right now, we have:

        FC_FOUNDRY
        FC_CHARSET
        FC_ANTIALIAS
        FC_LANG
        FC_FAMILY
        FC_SPACING
        FC_PIXEL_SIZE
        FC_STYLE
        FC_SLANT
        FC_WEIGHT
        FC_RASTERIZER
        FC_OUTLINE

Any mismatch in an entry higher in this table overrides differences
further along in the table.

Certainly it would be nice to prefer anti-aliased over non-antialiased
fonts for the same family, I suggest that FC_ANTIALIAS get moved to just
above FC_RASTERIZER.

But then again, this whole mess needs to be replaced by a CSS2 matching
mecahnism.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab