>What is Amaya doing about languages needing shapers
>like Thai?

We're not yet so far...European languages (Polish, Russian, Greek), Hebrew, Yiddish is
working, we're now integrating japanese.The big developpment done was our integration
of  "Bidi" edition /
browsing mechanism.

>Amaya might be another customer for an integrated
>Freetype, fontconfig, pango.

We're already using Freetype 2 a rasterizer and Xft as a font selection mechanism that
returns us filename and filepath.

>Is Amaya using texture mapping with OpenGL for
>anti-aliased fonts?

FreeType 2 delivers a 256 level of gray  bitmap of each character. We use the gray
value as an opacity value  associated to each pixel of that bitmap, and we get
anti-aliasing.As the cost of
transferring data is more important than the cost of building large bitmaps, we
decided in our implementation to compose a bitmap word by word. This bitmap is then
colored and displayed on the
screen. As we needed  to be fast on hardware and software OpenGL implementations (as
Mesa), we use bitmap drawings (gldrawpixels), as texture mapping in software is just
too slow.

>Using the Freetype cache or
>something else?

We cache in our application only glyph used using our mechanism. (Transformation done
on bitmap to invert it for opengl display cost too much to use the freetype caching
system)
(As it's fast enough we do not cache char index conversion and call FT_Get_Char_Index
each time)

> MahtML

We used to compose MathML with symbol fonts, and specific drawing routines (radix, big
parenthesis..) But I'm implementing a new code using of STIX fonts, as we can
distribute them freely with
Amaya. Each STIX has a specific charmap, unknow for all software (freetype, Xft).
That's because as you can have the same character three times. The integral for
one-line equation isn't the
same that the one for three line equation. (Kformula
(http://www.koffice.org/kformula/) and GtkMath
(http://www.cs.unibo.it/helm/mml-widget/gtkmathview.html) use STIX fonts for correct
render) http://www.ams.org/STIX/ and ftp://ftp.elsevier.nl/pub/styles/esstix/esstix.zip

Amaya will be loading them by their filename, using a specific list in memory that
permits to rely on
<size, Unicode code, Character name, MathML Stix char code, Stix font, Amaya code.>
(And I have to finish it before the MathML conference at the end of the month...)

What are your plans using Opengl  fonts ?

-Paul
http://www.w3.org/Amaya

ps : You might be intersted by a C++ lib, FTGL (vector, texture, bitmap fonts with
OpenGL) at http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/henryj/code/#FTGL