Vinod wrote on 2002-06-05 17:01 UTC:
> Hi there.I had just installed the linux realplayer on
> my freebsd 4.5 release and the real player works just
> fine.but all letters on the buttons of the player are
> replaced by small squares.like the 'OK' button is a
> button with two squares, 'File' with 4 squares e.t.c.
> i think its some font problem but since i am a newbie
> to x windows dont have a clue to what i need.would
> apreciate if someone can show me whats to be done.
> please CC me any replies as i am not subscribed.

A screenshot would help to understand better what exactly you see. Is it
really "instead of letters" (which letters) or is it "in addition to
letters"?

Hypothesis: The BDF fonts in newer XFree86 versions all have the default
character defined, to make visible when someone prints a character
that's not part of the font. The default character is a little box or
dashed box usually. Some programs have bugs such as that they try to
print NUL or TAB characters via Xlib, which was so far invisible,
because without a default character defined unprintable codes got mapped
to spaces.

Solution: Report to the RealPlayer developers (with a screenshot) that
they probabaly print non-printable characters via XDrawString and that
this bug now shows up.

Markus