Around 12 o'clock on Jun 6, Gioele Barabucci wrote:

> What it the difference between
> xc/lib/font/FreeType
> xc/lib/freetype2
> xc/extras/freetype2
> xc/extras/FreeType

XFree86 imports packages from other projects into our CVS tree to make
sure everything builds happily together.  All of those packages live in
xc/extras and are as left as close to the original package contents as
possible.

To avoid adding things to the packages, we create separate build
directories for each of the packages; the additional files needed to build
the packages in an XFree86 world are placed in those directories and then
the original source files are symlinked over and the library built.

The current X server/X font server font code (xc/lib/font) still uses
version 1 of FreeType while the client-side font code X (xc/lib/Xft) uses
the newer version 2 of FreeType.  The two different FreeType versions have
different interfaces, and lib/font hasn't yet been fixed to support the
newer library.

So, we've got:

xc/lib/font/FreeType

        This is where FreeType version 1 is built for the X server and X
        font server

xc/lib/freetype2

        This is where FreeType version 2 is built for the client side font
        code

xc/extras/freetype2

        This is where the FreeType version 2 code is stored after being
        imported from the FreeType project CVS repository

xc/extras/FreeType

        This is where the FreeType version 1 code is stored

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab