On 13 Jun 2002, James A. Crippen wrote:

>> hi
>> my X server has crashed..
>> > Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
>>

>> >Fatal server error:
>> >could not open default font 'fixed'
>> i did /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart..
>> it said failed..
>> saw the status have it as dead..
>> what do i do..
>
>Change your XF86Config file not to use xfs, and point it to the actual
>FontPath on disk.  How to do this depends on your version of XFree86
>and where your X fonts are installed.  All that info should be covered
>in the docs, or at least shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
>
>It smells like you probably have an older Hed Rat distribution, a few
>of versions which shipped with a broken init script for xfs, amongst
>other things...  Rather than fixing that it's usually easier to just
>point XF86 to the actual directories.  I never understood their funny
>insistence on using xfs without including the actual font paths in
>XF86Config.

xfs is used in Red Hat Linux for many very specific good reasons.
The primary reason being that the X server is not multithreaded.
When the X server is being used to rasterize glyphs instead of a
font server such as xfs, all X client activity is completely
halted while the server does the rasterization.  This results in
jerky mouse pointer movement and poor interactive performance,
which is particularaly noticed when using larger glyph sets or
complex glyph sets such as Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, but not
at all limited to those.

xfs being a separate process, can do this job simultaneously
while the X server continues to handle X requests.  Also, xfs can
handle multiple requests simultaneously.  The result is improved
interactive performance.

The only real disadvantage of xfs is that it consumes slightly
more memory since data gets held once in xfs, and a copy in the X
server as well.  A minor disadvantage however for the benefits
that xfs provides.

The "could not open default font 'fixed'" error is caused by
_many_ potential things.  Troubleshooting the exact problem is
the only way to find a proper solution, and generally when that
error occurs, using the X server instead of xfs does not solve
the problem either.  Switching from xfs to using the X server
implies that xfs is the problem, and it is a very rare occasion
that that is the case.

>It smells like you probably have an older Hed Rat distribution,

Please take your unprofessional anti-Red Hat distribution
politics elsewhere, it is quite unfitting.

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,