On Sat, 2002-07-06 at 13:34, Keith Packard wrote:
> My plan is to have fonts advertise the complete set of languages that they
> cover, and then to allow them to further distinguish languages with
> country codes as needed (zh-TW vs zh-CN).
>
> Now matching can take place using the language tags; a font supporting the
> language for a different country will match "less strongly" than a font
> matching the language for the correct country.  Both of these will match
> more strongly than a font not supporting the language at all.  This has the
> benefit of making traditional Chinese fonts preferred over Japanese fonts
> for the display of simplified Chinese documents.
>
> I think this will work better than the current hack using OS/2
> codePageRange bits.

Certainly; but have you considered the case that zh-HK and zh-MO users
prefer zh-TW fonts over zh-CN fonts, and vice versa for zh-SG? (What
other Chinese-speaking regions are there... perhaps zh-MY?)

To complicate matters, zh-HK uses traditional Chinese, but with more
characters than usually is with zh-TW. (Big5 vs Big5 HKSCS)

And of course, many fonts from China now cover most characters defined
in GB18030, which means if using coverage tables, these fonts will
appear to support both zh-CN and zh-TW...

Otherwise, I think using RFC-3066 is a good idea. I've only considered
Chinese here as I'm a native Chinese speaker; and I don't think these
problems crop up in other languages.

--
  Roger So                 Debian Developer
  Sun Wah Linux Limited    i18n/L10n Project Leader