Kaixo!

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 06:41:42PM -0400, Anthony Souphavanh wrote:
> Pablo,
>
> I searched on the net and found this article which this person mentioned
> you. I was wondering whether I need to set or use UTF-locale.

Yes, you need a locale using an encoding that incldes lao.
That means utf-8.

> If this true,
> why it works for Thai and Hebrew, Greek, ....etc.

It's the same for those.
However, they have a second choice in addition to utf-8; respectively
tis-620, iso-8859-8, iso-8859-7,...
But it doesn't make sense to add other non utf-8 encodings nowadays.

> When I issued the command 'locale charmap' the locale is  ISO-8859-1.

it won't work then (unless your program uses the locale independent functions
to get input keyboard, but they are relativley new and I suppose not
much programs use them currently).

change to an UTF-8 locale.

> By the way,  did you get a chance to test lo keysyms I sent?

It works perfectly for me (well, as far as I can tell, I don't know Lao);
I tested it with yudit, using xkb input with en_US.UTF-8 locale

> create directory /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/en_GB.UTF-8 copy XLC_LOCALE from
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8 into this directory.

If you will to use the same file it is not needed to copy it under another
name.

> If you want to input non-ascii characters, you may need a compose map.

that is for composing latin letters with accents and things like that,
it is not needed at all for Thai or Lao (unless for things like (c), tm,
and such signs, and the myriad of exisitng quotation marks etc)

> Unfortunately, compose maps provided with xfree86 are somewhat
> insufficient.
>
> See http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/i18n/2001-August/002278.html
>
> Download the Compose.gz file (by Pablo Saratxaga), gunzip and place it in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/en_GB.UTF-8

That file (with my errors corrected) is now shipped in standard with
XFree86; so if your version of XFree86 is not too old you don't need
to do anything (and anyway, it is not needed for Lao; it is needed for
French, German etc that requrie composing for typing their accents, but
Lao just encodes the diacritics separately)

> Edit file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/compose.dir and add there these lines:
> (is this really necessary?)
>
> en_GB.UTF-8/Compose:    en_GB.UTF-8
> en_GB.UTF-8/Compose     en_GB.UTF-8

No; XFree86 already comes with a good Compose file (in en_US.UTF-8 directory)
and has en_GB.UTF-8 locale point to it (in fact all UTF-8 locales minus
the CJK ones)

> Also download us_intl.gz file, gunzip it and put it into
> /etc/X11/xkb/symbols (this will give you much better keyboard for writing
> various accented latin letters). Notice that version by Pablo has some
> minor typos in it, these are corrected in my file.

That file is only useful for typing latin letters like "ubreve", "eogonek"
or "kcedilla" etc.
you don't need it for Lao.

you only need an UTF-8 locale actually installed i nyour system (it doesn't
matter which locale you choose as long as it uses UTF-8.
For Lao it should be "lo_LA.UTF-8"; it is known by XFree86, but probably
it isn't by your libc, so you may need to choose another.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.stben.be/pablo/           PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Italian or Portuguese]