>> Please do not do that.  It will make the life of developers miserable
>> (would *you* think of asking about the user's locale upon receiving a
>> bug report you cannot reproduce?).

KP> But the alternative is to require custom configuration for every user --
KP> consider a system supporting both Japanese and Korean users, there cannot
KP> be a single default 'sans' font which can optimally display both of these
KP> languages.  Using LC_CTYPE gives the system a chance to select the right
KP> font without requiring customization.

No; the alternative is to require every application developer to
perform what you do at the library level at the application level.
This way, a developer who hits the issue is already aware of
internationalisation issues, and has a chance to work out what the
problem is.

I don't feel particularly strongly about this, though.

KP> Even in western environments, it's easy to believe that the best font for
KP> German users will be different from that for Czech users; the coverage of
KP> preferred font for German might well be missing Z WITH CARON.

You already know my opinion on the issue: applications should be able
to fall back to different fonts upon encountering a glyph they cannot
display.  Heck, I actually wrote Cedilla just to demonstrate how that
can be done!

(Offtopic rant: but of course nobody is interested in such a low-tech
solution, preferring instead to discuss the gasworks known as OpenType.)

                                        Juliusz

P.S. http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/cedilla/