Around 10 o'clock on Aug 21, Markus Kuhn wrote:

> How alone am I with my scepticism of TTF here, especially with the idea
> of streching its intended application field to pure pixel fonts? Is this
> really one of the nice commercial file formats that we want to embrace
> fully in the open-source world?

I remind you that we have little choice but to support existing TrueType
and OpenType font files, given that we will already have all of the
necessary code to parse and extract bitmap fonts from these files, it's
somewhat difficult to justify promoting a brand new standard which is
functionally equivalent, but somewhat cleaner internally.

I considered a new format before turning down the dark path, but the idea
of actually deleting large masses of code throughout the system is a
rather seductive hook.

I'm not at all afraid of what these font files will do in other
situations, I care only that they be loadable by FreeType and have no
functional impairments when compared with the current PCF format.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab