Around 16 o'clock on Sep 5, "James H. Cloos Jr." wrote:

> The FontNames do of course have to be unique.  And zilla's mathml
> support will need access to math fonts.

We're still struggling over how to do MathML support for the lizard.  The
current "mechanism" is a horrible botch -- Mozilla has built-in encoding
tables for specific fonts that map to MathML glyphs.  I'm interested in
providing a font-independent mechanism, perhaps using postscript glyph
names for glyphs which aren't encoded in Unicode.

>  Do the fc patches for zilla allow it to work w/ only client side fonts?

Yes.  My mozilla loads no server side fonts at all.  And Xft2 manages
X server memory usage so that the X server need never grow large with
fonts.

> tonight's project is to compile
> 1.1 w/ the fc patch, plus whatever else I need to add to get it to
> ignore the server fonts (except perhaps for the widgets).)

Good luck -- 1.1 has a bunch of (almost pointless) string metric
optimizations that dig around in the font code pretty hard.  I'm sitting
on things until Chris Blizzard releases his rearchitected Xft support
which is nearly at the trunk now.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab