On Monday 09 September 2002 5:30 am, Baiju M wrote:
|  Hi,
|     I am planning to develop an OTF font for an Indic language.
|  MS typography documents says that, an Indic language only requires GSUB
|  and GPOS advanced tables.
|  1. When will X support OTF font?

It's certanly here.
I mean: XFree86 *can* display OpenType fonts.
FreeType2 supports such fonts, so there is no problem rendering/displaying
such fonts.
I have tested several fonts produced with PfaEdit, they are displayed fine,
say, in KWord or Konqueror.
Printing with OpenType fonts doesn't work in KDE3, though. But it's related to
Qt3/font embedding/subsetting, XF doesn't have infrastructure for font
embedding/subsetting.
David Turner, of FreeType project, was thinking to write library which will
provide unified API for those taks, but that librray is not ready.
So, different projects/libraries (Pango, Qt3, OpenOffice, Mozilla) use
different approach here.

|  2. Any tool to edit GSUB and GPOS tables? (I dont want to use VOLT)
|     Anyone used PfaEdit (or TtfMod), I heared that there is a perl module,
|     Can I use these things? or any other tools?

I use PfaEdit, it's certanly matured, and can be successfully used for font
creation tasks.
If you want to edit GSUB and GPOS tables - well, send a message to
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (cc'ed), I guess your mail canbe
treated as "wishlist", and support for this can be added to the future
versions of PfaEdit.

|  3. What all other tables necessary along with TrueType outlines?
|
|  Thanks,
|  Baiju M

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)