I am using Red Hat 8.0 so the program version are with respect to those
distributed by Red Hat.

I have been playing with ttmkfdir and mkfontscale and the Microsoft webfonts
and I noticed some differences.

If I run mkfontscale against a directory with the webfonts, I get 411 fonts
listed.  However, if I run ttmkfdir, I get 398 fonts listed.

Now ttmkfdir has a -m (--max-missing) command line parameter which is
described as "max # of missing characters per encoding, default is 5".

If I run "-m 0", I get 323 fonts listed and with "-m 100" I get 466 fonts
listed.

I am not sure what is correct, good, bad, or what.  Any comments?

If "max-missing" is a good idea, should it be incorporated into mkfontscale?

Obviously (at least to me), mkfontscale must be doing some allowance for
missing characters since it lists a number of fonts greater than 323.

While I am talking about these two programs, I do prefer the way ttmkfdir
creates its output better than mkfontscale -- mkfontscale creates the
font.scale file in the directory it is scanning whereas ttmkfdir outputs to
stdout which can be redirected via the -o (--output) command line parameter.
Gene Czarcinski