"Braden McDaniel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The fontconfig man page suggests that "Monospace" can be used to select
> "the users preferred monospace font"; but I'm not having any luck with
> this. "Sans" and "Serif" don't have the desired effect either (though I
> don't see them mentioned in the man page, so I'm unsure that they should).
> This is on a stock Red Hat 8.0 system. Anything in particular I ought to
> be doing for this to work?

It should be noted that the standard aliases are not the same as the
fonts selected in the GNOME font properties dialog; the standard
fontconfig names are configurable only through /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
and ~/.fonts.conf.

The reason that we didn't try to make them follow the user's font
configuration is that it was problematic to have the font a particular
name referred to change while a program was running, while the fonts
in the font preferences dialog should take affect immediately.

Regards,
                                        Owen