Hello Martin!

On Wednesday 20 November 2002 11:02 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

|  I have a little question that has been haunting me for the past few
|  days:

|  current CVS (19 nov 2002) of XFree86.

This happens not only with XFree86 CVS, but with XFree86-4.2.1 (with
FontConfig enabled) as well.

$ rpm -q XFree86 libXft2 fontconfig freetype2
XFree86-4.2.1-12mdk
libXft2-2.1-2mdk
fontconfig-2.1-1mdk
freetype2-2.1.3-2mdk

As you speak about KDE 3.0.4 - I guess you have Qt-3.0.5, right?
$ rpm -q libqt3
libqt3-3.0.5-2mdk
$ rpm -q kdelibs3 kdebase3
kdelibs3-3.1-0.beta2.1mdk
kdebase3-3.1-0.beta2.1mdk

I upgraded from XF-4.2.0-6mdk (LM 8.2) to 4.2.1-12mdk (MDK Cooker), and
anti-aliasing (not only for fonts but for icons with alpha channle as well)
immediately disappeared.

I think *easy fix* would be upgrade to KDE 3.1 and Qt-3.1.
I guess you need to wait just a few days till KDE 3.1 release, as tarballs for
KDE 3.1 *final* were packaged few days ago.

It would be interesting to know, though, *why* latest FontConfig (2.1) and
Xfree86 4.2.x (compiled with FontConfig support) do not provide backward
compatibility with XFree86-4.2.0 (which was not using FontConfig)

I am cc'ing to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, hope someone from TrollTech can clarify
wether it's Qt or XFree86/FC bugs.

|  What I found out so far:
|
|  My X env supports RENDER &
|  AA works with my currect X (CVS) compilation (xterm -fa "helvetica"
|  shows AA'd xterm).
|
|  I suspect I need working xft headers in order to have anti-aliased fonts
|  in KDE?
|  I assume the QT3 packages of debian are compiled with -xft?

You need Qt-3.1.0 to get support for FontConfig, AFAIK.
Which version does Debian ship?

|  ./configure decides to give up on xft because Xft.h refers to a file
|  that can't be found. (But continues).

Do you have FontConfig installed?

I have, and most of my fonts are missisng in KDE (3.1beta2, Qt-3.0.5) Font
Select dialog. bUt fonts are recognized by FontConfig, and "visible" via
fc-list:

$ fc-list "Times New Roman"
Times New Roman:style=Bold Italic
Times New Roman:style=Bold
Times New Roman:style=Italic
Times New Roman:style=Regular
$ fc-list "Nimbus Sans L"
Nimbus Sans L:style=Regular Italic
Nimbus Sans L:style=Bold
Nimbus Sans L:style=Regular
Nimbus Sans L:style=Bold Condensed
Nimbus Sans L:style=Bold Italic
Nimbus Sans L:style=Regular Condensed Italic
Nimbus Sans L:style=Regular Condensed
Nimbus Sans L:style=Bold Condensed Italic

So, I believe problem is caused by incompatibility between Qt-3.0.5 and
XFree86-4.2.1 (with FontConfig support)
I am not sure, though *what* should be fixed here.

|  Xft.h refers to freetype.h, which is available, not in the freetype dir
|  but freetype2/freetype.
|
|  Pointing to freetype2/freetype/freetype.h in Xft.h doesn't work,
|  ./configure complains about not finding other files (turns off xft and
|  continues).
|  Moving freetype one level above (next to freetype2) results in a working
|  ./configure and included xft support. Compiling however fails on
|  inconsistencies in multiple declarations of a function and the lack of
|  others (originating from the found and accepted Xft.h).
|
|  I read that freetype is being turned upsidedown in this release of
|  XFree86 and things might not compile as you expect them. So I noticed.
|
|  Question: should I stop and get some sleep since it will not work (soon)
|  or is there a quick 'workaround' (like the one with the freetype dir I
|  tried before)?
|  Will Xft.h headers eventually work in 4.3.0, or is this a transition to
|  a whole new approach of Xft? I see a Xft and Xft1 dirs in the CVS
|  structure at the moment namely.
|
|  Anyway, if someone could enlighten me a bit here, I'd be pleased...
|

|  Regards,
|  Martin van Es

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released
http://svgicons.sourceforge.net
My KDE page
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)
KDE mini-Themes