On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Michael B. Allen wrote:

> Roland  Mainz  has  released  a  new  version  of  Xprint and appears to be
> actively  working  on  another.  The mozilla website has some nifty looking
> internationalized  screenshots  displaying Turkish, Chinese, etc. I've been
> using  an Xprint CUPS setup for sometime now with great success.

>   http://xprint.mozdev.org/screenshots.html

 Yeah, Xprint works great (it can even be used to
print out old Korean page with U+1100 Hangul Jamos) It solved a
long-standing problem in X11(well, commercial Unix have some solutions
for this), the enormous gap between what you see on the screen and what
you get on paper(especially for non-European scripts).  Because Xprint
is an Xserver specialized for printing and  shares many things with
the main X server for screen rendering, what you see on the screen is
faithfully replicated in what you print out with Xprint as long as two
X servers(one for screen and Xprint) have access to the common set of
fonts. However, the fact that Xprint is a specialized form of X*server*
is also a weakness. You may know that the whole Linux (and FreeBSD and
other Unix that rely on XFree86) community is moving away from the server
side font and toward client-side font technology (fontconfig and Xft.
http://fontconfig.org) With fontconfig and Xft, Unix/X11 finally got
on par with Windows and MacOS in terms of font support. Arguably,
this is the greatest development in X11 that happened in the last
10years. Mozilla-Xft is finally able to support CSS at the same level
with Mozilla-Win and Mozilla-MacOS(no more need to tinker with XLFD
and things like that).  The problem of the server-side font becomes
very obvious when you search for some Japanese(Chinese, Korean) words
in Google (they don't have to be CJK, but to make sure that you get a
truly multilingual page in UTF-8 that requires multiple fonts to render)
and see Mozilla-X11core struggle (sometimes it can take almost 10 seconds
at my PIII 750MHz with 384MB) to render the page. (Or, open up the font
selection dialog box in Mozilla-X11core and compare that with the font
selection dialog box in Mozilla-Xft/Mozilla-Windows/ Mozilla-MacOS.
You can repeat the experiment with Mozilla-Xft.) Mozilla-Xft renders the
page instantaneously.  Also try to print the page with Xprint. Mozilla
doesn't respond for as long as 30 seconds (depending on the complexity
and the length of pages) until Xprint is done with searching for fonts to
'render' the page.

  Even with this weakness, Xprint is by far the best printing solution
available at the moment for Mozilla under Unix/X11 because postscript
printing module of Mozilla does not work very well yet(it works but
is far behind what you can get with Mozilla-Windows and Mozilla-MacOS
where the OS-level printing infrastructure  is far superior to that
under Unix/X11. Well, on some commerical Unix, it may be better.)
It would be even greater if it's possible to combine Xprint somehow
with fontconfig(although not likely). Better still is to write something
like XftPrint(or XftPS) which would do to printing what Xft does to the
screen rendering . There's an on-going project in Mozilla to directly use
Freetype2 and embed type42 truetype fonts in PS output.  This might be
where fontconfig can come in to better support CSS in Mozilla printout
as is done on the screen by fontconfig+Xft in Mozilla-Xft.

> I hope the Linux  distros  jump  on  the bandwagon and start shipping
> it along with an
> Xprint enabled Mozilla (Red Hat's mozilla RPMs do not have Xprint enabled).

  I'm not sure  why RH disabled Xprint in their Mozilla RPM.
Xft, Xprint and PS printing module can coexist in Mozilla without
much problem as far as I can tell. Perhaps, that blocking I mentioned
above may not be acceptable?

   Jungshik Shin

P.S. I'm CCing to fonts list of XF86.