Chris Cheney wrote:
I am the maintainer of KDE for Debian and noticed that when we switched
Qt and KDE to using the new Xft2 libraries that fonts got bigger. It
appears to be an issue with either spacing or padding.

I choose the linux console font for Konsole (KDE's terminal emulator)
and with the new Xft2 the size is 822x497 total.  Each character is
taking 10x20 pixels.  The font is:

console8x16.pcf.gz
-misc-console-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-160-iso10646-1

I assume that means the font should be taking 8x16 pixels.

A screenshot is available here: http://calc.cx/font-bug.png

Should there be any spacing at all between characters, and could Xft2
just have been triggering a bug in Konsole itself(?) I am not familiar
enough with how Konsole or Xft2 works to know for certain.
This is somewhat odd.

First I don't think that Konsole is actually using that font.

Note that I can NOT get Konsole to use that font. :-(

So, I selected that font in KEdit and made a sample to compare to yours. See attached.

What I think that is being displayed is (bit mapped) Helvetica which would be what Qt defaults to when it can't find the requested font

Can you check the font cache file in the directory that contains the font and see if it is actually listed?

I had to gunzip that font file (the one that comes with KDE) to get FontConfig to find it.

--
JRT

<<inline: font-bug.png>>