We've had a problem on Slackware Linux 8.1 with AbiWord 1.0.1 and
XFree86 4.2.0. The problem is that on some systems (our video hardware
differs with the age of the machine) we see the message

AbiWord could not load the following font or fontset from the X Window
System display server, [-*-Times New Roman-regular-r-*-*-*-0-*-*-*-*-*-*]

Though I wonder about the spaces in the typeface name, a purported
explanation for and solution of this bug is given at:

http://www.abisource.com/twiki/bin/view/Abiword/UnixFaqAbiWordCouldNotLoadTimesNewRoman

but, since we don't use xfs(1), I couldn't see that adding
/usr/share/abisource/fonts to the list of font directories in
/etc/X11/fs/config would do any good. :-)

I used xset(1) on my machine (where AbiWord works) and also on one
of the other Linux PCs (where AbiWord fails as above). It works fine
on my PC, but on the other PC I get:

$ xset +fp /usr/share/abisuite/fonts/
X Error of failed request:  86
  Major opcode of failed request:  51 (X_SetFontPath)
  Serial number of failed request:  8

I tried using xfd(1) on one of the typefaces listed in the fonts.dir
file in /usr/share/abisuite/fonts/. It works on my PC but on the other
PC I get:

$ xfd -fn -ZZ_AbiWord-Arial-regular-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
Warning: Cannot convert string
"-ZZ_AbiWord-Arial-regular-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct
xfd:  no font to display

The font name looks fine to me. Has anyone seen this (these?)
problem(s)?

I've looked everywhere I can think of (XFree86 web site, X Protocol
Reference Manual Volume Zero, Google) for a list of XFree86 error codes
- just what is `XError ... 86'?

Incidentally, I can't find mention on the current XFree86 mailing list
description page (http://www.xfree86.org/mailman/listinfo) of any
mailing list archives. I googled to find a page of archives of fonts -
see http://devel.xfree86.org/archives/fonts/ - which stops in 2000.
(It's not searchable, either!) Any idea why this list's archives are not
publicised any more?
--

John A. Murdie
Experimental Officer (Software)