Around 1 o'clock on Jul 10, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> I suggest they should have the extension ``.sfnt'', with ``.sfn''
> being recognised for compatibility with 8+3 systems.

While using four letter extensions would be nice, I'm afraid there remain
file system formats which provide for only three letters that are commonly
used in systems which run X.  Floppies, flash cards and other devices
continue to use FAT file systems, and while there are kludges around to
provide long file names, those aren't always well supported nor compatible.

So, if we accept only a four letter extension we will have "issues"
distributing fonts on floppies, flash cards and USB keychain drives.

Juliusz suggests accepting either .sfnt or .sfn to work around this
problem.  That's how the world deals with the .html extension -- software
all "knows" that .html and .htm are equivalent.  I'd rather avoid this
complexity in every new piece of software that deals with fonts (not that
fontconfig or FreeType really care, but other pieces of software do).

Instead, I think we can probably come up with a single three letter
extension to use; perhaps something like:

        .ttb            - true type 'bitmap' font
        .otb            - open type 'bitmap' font
        .tts            - true type 'sfnt' font
        .ots            - open type 'sfnt' font

.otb appears to be used for Nokia Phone Graphics files of some kind and
.ots appears used by the OtsJuke application for sound files, but neither
.ttb nor .tts appear used at the current time.

This is certainly not intended to be an exhaustive list of possibilities,
but I would like to limit discussion to viable three letter extensions.

I agree with Andrew C Aitchison that the .sfn extension is probably a bad
idea, both because it may be easily confused with .snf and also because
SPX Fonts already use the .sfn extension.

-keith